Thursday, February 7, 2008

stage one and stage two

Stage one, an entrance into the monotheatrum has been compiled from beached lumber, mostly hardwood. I have tried to assemble the disparate types and shapes and warps of wood into a kind of of caveman's butcher block/monolith. The whole thing is pretty freaking heavy, which is reassuring in a way. I'm still waiting to sand and finish it. I want to use something natural on it like tung oil and beeswax, so it smells a little bit like a pagan temple.

The entrance stage slides under the main stage, which I have raised to a height of five inches. Five inches is the minimum height a performer needs to be lifted in order to really 'feel on stage'. It also creates a slightly hollow thump when you stomp on it; I think blues musicians and angry spoken word artists will make nice use of that. The wood for the main stage are cleaned up joist boards stolen out of an abandoned farmhouse. I wouldn't be surprised if the wood is 150 years old.

I am going to leave these components now in order to tackle the nightmare of curving wood for the dome. Lord give me strength.

t

No comments: